PURPOSE: To oversee the administration of building and electrical codes within Barren County and to actively participate in various code/ordinance enforcement activities within the County.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Include but not limited to the following):
- Reviews, approves, issues and records building permits. Issues appropriate certifications.
- Perform field inspections of building, electrical and mechanical constructions of one and two family residential dwellings, mobile homes, and accessory structures. If necessary as experience is gained inspection of multiple-unit housing, and commercial buildings. All inspections are to be performed in a timely and professional manner.
- Maintains detailed and orderly records. Prepares inspection and investigation reports monthly.
- Meets with contractors, designers, architects, engineers, property owners, and/or homeowners concerning building code requirements and regulations.
- Reviews sketches and architectural plans of buildings to be constructed reconstructed, converted, altered, repaired, moved or demolished for conformance with building, electrical, HVAC, and related local and state codes and ordinances.
- Investigates and interprets alleged violations of building codes and ordinances.
- Determines property ownership in cases of violations, including those arising from old, abandoned, and dangerous structures and sites, which may be subject to condemnation, especially for safety hazards.
- Responds to inquiries on building codes.
- Maintain required records for inspections and violations. Issues violation notices.