History of the Barren County Clerk's Office
The Barren County Clerk's office is located in the County Government Building on the north side of the downtown public square. It’s history dates back to the county's establishment in 1798. Richard Garnett served as the first county clerk. Since that time there have been a total of 18 clerks having served including the current clerk, Pam Hodges-Browning. Bess Howard holds the record as the longest serving clerk with 33 years of service. Ms. Howard served from 1922-1954. Wilmer L Hodges was "shy" 5 months of Ms. Howard's record crediting him with 32 years 7 months service. Current county clerk, Pam Hodges-Browning, has over 36 years of service with the clerk's office. Due to failing health and advisement of his medical affiliates, Mr. Hodges retired July 31, 1997. The residing County Judge/Executive, David Dickerson, appointed Ms. Browning to fill the unexpired term of Mr. Hodges. Ms. Browning was elected in 1998 and re-elected in 2002 and 2006. Of the 18 serving clerks, 15 have been male, three female.
As a tribute to those who have served, Clerk Browning, Deputy Clerk, Holly Travis, and local historians have displayed clerk photos and years of service. Four clerk photos have yet to be displayed. Their names and years of service are displayed in hope that a historian and/or family member will be able to provide the photo for display. Those clerks include William Logan 1799-1836, T.J. Helm 1836-1851, Travis Cockrill 1851-1862, and H. D. Ralston 1918-1922. The Kentucky County Clerk's Association supports the Veterans Association through the HAVE Trust Fund (help a veteran everyday). The public may donate to this worthy project by making a donation when transacting business in the County Clerk's office. A receipt for your tax deductible donation will glady be issued.